Things I don't like about this matchup:
1) Their point guard, Collins, has 17 assists and just 3 turnovers in 3 games. We're going to have to force turnovers to make our defense work.
2) They have 2 good centers -- both Fisher and Pittsnoggle can play. Fisher is more of a shot blocker inside guy, while Pittsnoggle often hangs around the perimiter, but has the size and skills to kill us inside if so inclined.
3) Pittsnoggle hasn't found his stride yet this year -- As a freshman last year (I think he was all Big East, but I'm not sure), he averaged 12 ppg, this year his scoring is down. At some point he'll have a breakout game, let's hope it's not tomorrow.
4) They have lots of guys who can stick 3s. If we don't guard everyone, they have a few guys who could step up and have a MacFarland (ASU) type career game shooting from deep.
5) Belien teams usually pass well and shoot well. They play a lot like his Richmond teams did, relying on ball control and making open shots. We'll need defensive intensity to throughout each possession.
THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THIS MATCHUP:
1) West Virginia only plays 8 guys -- Our depth could be a nice advantage.
2) Collins doesn't shoot or create -- Their point guard may get assists and take care of the ball, but he almost never shoots. That means he's not the type of PG that TJ struggles to guard sometimes. I think he's the type who mainly passes the ball around the perimeter (getting his assists that way) and doesn't really drive or create much. We may be able to overplay the wings and keep it away from their shooters when it's in his hands.
3) Shut down Schifino and they struggle -- We have the bodies and athleticism to shut down Schifino if we're focused. If we do that, we should wreak havoc on their offense even if their inside guys have big games.
4) We should be hungry and refocused after Wed's disaster.
5) They don't want to play uptempo. This could be one of those games decided by whoever controls the tempo. Look for Pinnock to be big factor tomorrow guarding Schifino and pushing the tempo.
6) As noted by someone else, their forwards turn it over and they can be beaten for offensive rebounds. Especially if Pittsnoggle wants to hang around the perimter, we should be able to keep them off the glass.
7) JR Pinnock -- I think this is the kind of game where he can be a big factor. He'll probably guard Schifino some and I epect his ability to drive and score or dish will hurt them (provided he doesn't turn it over by overpassing).